Thursday, April 19, 2012

Beware of Castoreum

Yesterday while watching The Dr. Oz Show I was surprised to learn some very disturbing information from the segment "What's Hidden In Your Food?"  Guest Bruce Bradley revealed hidden ingredients that could be in our foods unbeknownst to us but allowed by the FDA. Bruce exposed that the FDA allows up to 20 maggots in a 3.5 oz of canned mushroom, fruit flies can be cooked into your tomato sauce, and raspberry-flavored hard candy contains castoreum which is juice from the anal glands of beavers.  Yes, you read that correctly.

The FDA allows this because by definition these are natural ingredients.

The term "natural" 
applies broadly to foods that are minimally processed and free of synthetic preservatives; artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors and other artificial additives; growth hormones; antibiotics; hydrogenated oils; stabilizers; and emulsifiers. Most foods labeled natural are not subject to government controls beyond the regulations and heath codes that apply to all foods.  http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dockets/06p0094/06p-0094-cp00001-05-Tab-04-Food-Marketing-Institute-vol1.pdf


Obviously, the FDA and I have different definitions of the word natural when it comes to food.  My point of view is just because an ingredient is not processed doesn't necessarily mean it's a natural food.

I can almost understand why there are maggots and fruit flies with the mushrooms and tomatoes because bugs  live in the garden.  I'm just wondering what genius said, "By jove! I got a great idea! Let's take the juice from the anal glands of beavers and put it in candy to enhance the flavor."

I got a better idea - how about actually putting raspberry in raspberry candy to enhance the flavor?
I also want to know where the manufacturers are getting the anal juice now that skinning beavers isn't common practice.
Yummy!  Contains natural ingredients from beaver anal glands.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Scrappy Sugar Girl! I someone came across your blog on Pinterest, and I think it's wonderful! I just wiped drops of tea off my computer screen reading this post. I mean, naturally, I feel bad for all of us who were eating raspberry candies not aware of their contents, but then I thought: Wow! The poor beavers! How humiliating! Anyway, I look forward to reading more of your posts! Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, skinning beavers is a much more common practice than many realize. They are the #1 agricultural pest behind coyotes in the USA and their populations need to be constantly thinned to keep damage to a minimum and the beaver population healthy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...