Wednesday, August 24, 2011

"Up", Up and Away in My Beautiful Balloons

Lately "Up" has been playing on Uverse and because there's nothing better to watch on the other 500 channels we pay for I end up leaving the channel on this movie. I love this touching, heartwarming movie although it has an underlying current of sadness with the loss of Ellie and Russell's parents. I think the sadness really hits home because I don't want to even entertain the thought of living this life without my husband or leave my children to be orphans.  

Now here's a delicate question I have for Disney and Pixar:  "Why is the mom/wife usually dead in your movies?"  

I'm baffled by this repetitive plot. Did a psychologist tell the Disney crew "The audience will automatically feel sympathy for the character if a parent is not present thus causing a rise in emotions building a strong connection. Because of this connection the audience will fall in love with the character and subconsciously want to support the character even though he/she is fiction. The viewer will freely spend more money on movie items such as shirts, toys, and Happy Meals. The kids are happy with their new stuff. The Disney empire will grow even larger and eventually take over the world."? (Insert sinister laugh here.)  

Let me list all the movies I can think of in which the mom/wife is not present:  
Snow White, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Little Chicken, Nemo, Despicable Me, Cloudy with Meatballs, Pocahontas, Aladdin, Great Mouse Detective, The Rescuers, all Goofy movies, etc. I'm sure there are many more movies that escape my mind. 

But let's not dwell on the heart-churning-gut-wrenching-emotional-roller-coaster plots of Disney and Pixar anymore.  Let's turn our focus on life!!

Here are photos that should bring a smile to your face.

I just want to hug and squeeze this kid.

Engagement pictures inspired by "Up."  I'm so jealous I didn't think of things like this when I got married 20 years ago. 



Awesome!
http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/upinspired-floating-house-14







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...