Monday, July 25, 2011

Spell Check Needs to be Updated

You know what drives me mad?

Even though autism is becoming more commonplace the stupid spellcheck in Microsoft Word does not have the word "Asperger" in its dictionary.  The diagnosis term was standardized in 1994 so they've had plenty of time to add it to the dictionary. I know I can manually add it to the dictionary so I don't get the red squiggly line, but I am waiting to see if Microsoft will actually add it to their dictionary.  Also, Tourette's is not in their dictionary.  I know spell check does not check for name spelling but these are both names and medical terminologies.

I know this is a personal rant and it only bothers me but I still had to post it.

From Autism Speaks site:
Today, it is estimated that one in every 110 children is diagnosed with autism, making it more common than childhood cancer, juvenile diabetes and pediatric AIDS combined. 

Autism is a general term used to describe a group of complex developmental brain disorders known as Pervasive Developmental Disorders (PDD). The other pervasive developmental disorders are PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder – Not Otherwise Specified), Asperger Syndrome, Rett Syndrome and Childhood Disintegrative Disorder. Many parents and professionals refer to this group as Autism Spectrum Disorders.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...